Tourism in New Zealand
With a work experience placement in tourism & travel, you will be involved in a variety of tasks designed to best utilise individual’s skills. The tourism & travel sector combines Marketing, Advertising, Human Resources, Business Management and New Zealand Tour Consulting. You will work in an environment that is both multicultural and international. A requirement of this work placement is a positive attitude and a willingness to work with members of a team.
Various duties in the travel and tourism sector:
- Producing tourist information, including artwork & writing press
- Doing copies for tour guides and newsletters
- Setting up and attending exhibitions and holiday shows
- Organising special and seasonal events and festivals
- Advise international customers in travel details
- Devising and planning tours, and arranging itineraries
- Liaising with local operators, the media, designers and printers
- Care of websites business databases
- Organise bookings over email, website and phone
New Zealand’s tourism industry increasingly focuses on economic development, urban and rural regeneration as well as strategic planning, particularly in local authorities. Possible tourism & travel internship placements are as a travel agent coordinator, travel advisor, tourism management assistant and tourism development advisor.