Our company is a leading supplier of optical touch panels and touch-screen components to electronics manufacturers. With accurate, cost-effective solutions designed for easy integration into all-in-one computers, computer displays and large-format screens, we develop the hardware necessary to bring touch-screen technology to life.
Founded in 2000, our company has offices in New Zealand, Taiwan, the United States, Singapore, Korea and Japan, with manufacturing facilities throughout Asia. We have five main functions:
- Asia Operations
This position description describes the roles and responsibilities of the Opto-mechanical Intern within the Hardware Platform Development Team. The operations relevant to this position are based in our office in Auckland, New Zealand. The Opto-mechanical Intern reports to the Hardware Platform Engineering Manager.
The Opto-mechanical Intern’s primary objectives are:
- Design and development of optical components and assemblies
- Optical component evaluation
- Designing for very low cost
- Ensuring that all DFM methodologies are used
- Liaising with materials and tool vendors
- Disseminating industry best practice to peers
- Maintaining and improving quality of our products
The following areas fall within the Opto-mechanical Intern’s responsibility:
Optical Component Development:
- Testing of LED and camera performance
- Design of test jigs for characterisation of our miniature camera assemblies
- Accurately estimate timeframes and costs to enable smooth management of development projects
- Analysis of optical design issues using LightTools and/or Zemax
- Fault finding and general assessment of optical product issues
- Assist in development of LED micro-optic lens design
- Report technical risks and issues to assist management
- Author and seek sign off of key technical documentation such as technical specifications
- Disseminate DFM feedback to peers to ensure learnings achieve cross-team coverage
- Organise component procurement for the timely delivery of prototype parts in line with agreed timeframes.
Health and Safety:
- Follow the in place Health and Safety programmes
- Our main customer and manufacturing base is located in Asia. Occasional travel from time to time may be necessary.
Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of optical design and test
- Appreciation of design-to-cost methodologies
- Understanding of CAD & optical modelling software
- Good familiarity with problem solving and analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field or Science Master’s degree is advantageous
Position: Development Team
Vacancy code: NZ 1853
How to apply
To apply for an internship via us, please use the “Apply now” link. You will need to complete an online application form. We will email you to acknowledge we have received your interest and let you know the next steps in the application process.
Make sure that you are sincerely interested in the position and will be motivated to perform if hired.